March 11, 2013
Tulane Law School will induct the first class of its new Law School Hall of Fame at its annual Alumni Luncheon on March 22 at 11:30 a.m. at the Westin New Orleans.
The Hall of Fame, supported with a gift from Lake Charles lawyer Mike Veron (A & S ’72, L’ 74), recognizes extraordinarily accomplished alumni and legendary faculty members spanning the school’s 166-year history.
The 12 honorees (posthumous members are indicated with an *) are:
• Marian Mayer Berkett (L ’37), first woman attorney hired by a Louisiana law firm
• Hale Boggs * (A & S ’35, L ’37), 13-term Congressman who served as majority whip and majority leader
• John J. Hainkel, Jr. * (A & S ’59, L ’61), first person to serve as both speaker of the house and president of the Senate in a state legislature
• Russ M. Herman (A & S ’63, L ’66), founding partner of Herman, Herman & Katz and lead counsel in many high-profile class action
• Joseph Merrick Jones * (A & S, L ’25), founder of the law firm now known as Jones Walker and former president of Tulane’s board of administrators.
• Wayne J. Lee (A & S ’71, L ’74), leading New Orleans lawyer who helped diversify the legal profession.
• Bessie Margolin * (N ’29, L ’30), associate solicitor for the U.S. Department of Labor
• Max Nathan (L ’60), founding partner of Session, Fishman, Nathan & Israel and distinguished lawyer in estate planning and successions
• Ferdinand Stone *, member of Law School’s faculty for 41 years before retiring as W.R. Irby Chair
• Jacques L. Wiener, Jr. (A & S ’56, L ’61), Shreveport lawyer before appointment by President George H.W. Bush to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
• John Giffen Weinmann (A & S ’50, L ’52), former U.S. ambassador to Finland and chief of protocol in the White House
• John Minor Wisdom * (L ’29), 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge who played a pivotal role in enforcing the civil rights of racial minorities
For tickets to the luncheon, contact Nicole DePietro at 504-865-5909 or email@example.com.
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA 70118 504-865-5000 firstname.lastname@example.org