immunizations for incoming tulane students
All incoming Tulane students must meet the CDC and American College Health Association immunization guidelines prior to registration for classes. Registration will be held if immunizations are not compliant.
Incoming students should carefully review the Tulane immunization requirements below and complete the Immunization Compliance Form available via our secure website Patient Portal. Also, be sure to have this form verified (requires the signature of your healthcare provider) or provide a copy of your official signed immunization records when you submit your forms to us. If for any reason you or your healthcare provider feels that you cannot comply with some or all of Tulane's immunization requirements (including medical contraindications to specific vaccinations as noted below), please attach a letter of explanation, signed by both you and your healthcare provider, to the Immunization Compliance Form.
All Tulane students must have the following required immunizations prior to matriculation:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella requirement: Two (2) doses of live vaccine required for all college students born after 1956. The first vaccine must have been given, on, or after the first birthday and a second dose at least 28 days after the first dose.
- Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis requirement: A dose of vaccine given within the past ten (10) years required. (Tdap) is recommended.
- Meningococcal/Meningitis Vaccine: A dose of vaccine given within the past five (5) years is required for ALL undergraduates and is also required by Tulane for any student in uptown on-campus housing and fraternity/sorority housing. A booster dose is required every 5 years.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screening/Testing: It is required that all students complete the screening questionnaire on Page 2 of the Immunization Compliance Form.
- International Students: All are required to provide results of IGRA (QFT or T-Spot)
- Domestic students: All are required to receive TB skin test or IGRA if answering yes to any of the TB screening questions on the Immunization Compliance Form.
Please go to selfcare.tulane.edu to enter vaccine dates and upload this form. We utilize a paperless system and do not accept faxed or mailed copies.
If you have any questions about this process email email@example.com.
Medical, Public Health, and Social Work students: Please contact Vicki Stein at (504) 988-6169 or firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Louisiana Law and Medical Recommendations
Louisiana law (R.S. 17:170 - Schools of Higher Learning) requires proof of dates of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, and tetanus-diphtheria for all first-time students born on or after January 1, 1957, and for reentering students (born on or after January 1, 1957) who have been out of school for one semester or longer. The following guidelines are presented for the purpose of meeting the established recommendations for control of vaccine-preventable diseases, as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices to the United States Public Health Service (ACIP), and the American College Health Association (ACHA). In addition, current Louisiana legislation now mandates meningitis vaccination for persons being admitted to a postsecondary education institution for the Fall 2006 semester and thereafter.